Industry Transition Spotlight: Joydeep Pal, PhD
An interview with Joydeep Pal, PhD
1. What is your name, your full job title, and the name of the company you work for?
Joydeep Pal, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Foodinjoy Ltd, UK
2. What is your favorite part about working in industry?
I am responsible for both the commercial and technical aspects of my company. I am excited to be able to apply my transferable skills from my PhD and Research Scientist days in helping the food and beverage sector toward a sustainable future.
3. What does a typical day at work look like for you?
My day job consists of designing the customer experience, pitching to potential investors, and ensuring the product is fit for its intended purpose. Looking at the 3-year-venture road map, I am currently developing strategic partnerships and collaborations to engineer the right products for our customers.
4. How is your current industry position different than your academic postdoc or experience as a graduate student?
My position is quite similar to, yet different from, my 2 years spent as a Research Fellow. I believe every PhD student gathers entrepreneurial skills, however, in mostly niche areas. You get more access to resources and are surrounded by helpful people. To be sure, a steeper learning curve awaits you in industry, but that’s the challenge that excites us all. And you can witness the impact much faster there than in the bureaucratic world of academia.
5. If you could go back in time–before you received your job offer–and give yourself one piece of advice or encouragement, what would it be?
Persistence is the most important skill in life. Life always guides you, and every closed door takes you one step closer to success. Focus on your strengths and remember the power of “yet.” You might say, “I am not a good networker,” but add “yet” and you will see you are in the process of getting better. Find people who are in similar phases of their career; CSA definitely guides and motivates you to reach your destination.
6. What was the most important thing you did during your job search that enabled your success?
I kept networking and focusing on my job-hunting strategy (LinkedIn page updates, CV, cover letter, and my elevator pitch).
7. What is the most memorable moment for you (so far) as a Cheeky Scientist Associate?
1) Interacting with Catherine Sorbara. Her input, during my first week with CSA, on my Linkedin and CV, was critical in building momentum in my job hunt.
2) The “Gold Standard Resume” template. More than 80% of responses to my new resume were positive once I started using the template.
8. What do you see as the next step in your career?
Grow to be a better person to work with. Contribute more toward the greater good of the planet.
9. How can the Association and the Association’s members help you continue to achieve your career goals?
Keep continuing the good work. Networking events will be helpful to share experiences and foster new collaboration.
10. Now that you’ve spent some time working in industry, what is the biggest piece of advice you’d like to share with those Associates who are still executing their job search?
Every journey is different; find yours. Always research the company and the job profile. Communication and time management are keys to success in any role. As you move up the corporate ladder, it is more about managing people and not the work itself. Remember, it’s your life, so make your own path. Onward and upward!
To learn more about how you can transition into an industry career like Joydeep, including instant access to our exclusive training videos, case studies, industry insider documents, transition plan, and private online network, get on the waitlist for the Cheeky Scientist Association.
Isaiah believes--from personal experience--that if you feel stuck somewhere in your life, it’s a clear sign that you need to make a change. Don’t sit still and wait for the world to tell you what to do. Start a new project. Build your own business. Take action. Experimentation is the best teacher.
Isaiah is an internationally recognized Fortune 500 consultant, CEO of Cheeky Scientist, and author of the straight-talk bestsellers Black Hole Focus and The Science of Intelligent Achievement.
Latest posts by Isaiah Hankel (see all)
- Best Industry Transition Articles For PhDs (April 4th, 2020) - April 4, 2020
- Secure PhD Jobs With The 15-Point Coronavirus Career Plan - March 31, 2020
- Best Industry Transition Articles For PhDs (March 28th, 2020) - March 28, 2020