Industry Transition Spotlight: Sigita Cinciute, Ph.D.
An interview with Sigita Cinciute, Ph.D.
1. What is your name, your full job title, and the name of the company you work for?
Sigita Cinciute, Product Manager at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
2. What is your favorite part about working in industry? (This could be a specific thing about your job or work/life balance, etc.)
Working on a team and, at the same time, being independent in my role.
3. What does a typical day at work look like for you?
There is no such thing; my schedule changes very drastically, depending on the projects I’m working on.
4. How is your current industry position different than your academic postdoc or experience as a graduate student?
It’s more creative, and I feel more supported in my job than ever.
5. If you could go back in time–before you received your job offer–and give yourself one piece of advice or encouragement, what would it be?
Don’t judge yourself for what you can do and what you can’t.
6. What was the most important thing you did during your job search that enabled your success?
Being open to suggestions; treating the job interview as a lesson – not as a trial.
7. What is the most memorable moment you’ve had (so far) as a Cheeky Scientist Associate?
Feeling like I’m amongst like-minded people.
8. What do you see as the next step in your career?
I’m actually making a career plan for the next several years. I’m still in the phase of investigating new possibilities in my field.
9. How can the association and its members help you continue to achieve your career goals?
By sharing stories about how people outperformed themselves, how they strategically achieved a better position, or what kinds of industry leaders they deal with and how they deal with them.
10. Now that you’ve spent some time working in industry, what is the biggest piece of advice you’d like to share with those Associates who are still executing their job search?
Don’t limit yourself. For some Cheekies, it will help to keep a very open mind, even if they are working in very specific fields.
To learn more about how you can transition into an industry career like Sigita, including instant access to our exclusive training videos, case studies, industry insider documents, transition plan, and private online network, get on the wait list for the Cheeky Scientist Association.